2019 Great Lakes Summit
2019 Great Lakes Family Nature Summit in Shanty Creek Resort, Bellaire, Michigan
July 20 – July 26, 2019
The cost reflects $25/person discount if payment is made by December 31, 2018. The T-shirt is included in the registration fee. Additionally, we charge $25 membership fee per family.
- Adult (26+) — $750
- Young Adult (18-25) — $645
- Teen (grades 7th – 12th) — $615
- Jr. Naturalist (grades K – 6th) — $535
- Early Discovery, (ages 3 & 4) – (8-12 noon) — $400
- Child Care — hourly fee paid at Summit
Discounts, Deadlines, Refunds
- The current price listed above and in registration form reflects a early payment discount of $25/person. The price will go up on January 1, 2019 for those who have not paid in full.
- A $100/person non-refundable deposit is due at the time of registration.
- Full payment deadline is April 1, 2019. No refunds will be issued after this deadline. Before April 1, 2019, refunds will be issued for any amount paid minus the non-refundable deposit.
- Paying by check saves Family Nature Summits ~$20 per participant. If you can spare the time to put one in the mail instead of paying online, we appreciate the extra support!
Lodging and Transportation
Lodging registration will be online and available soon. However, we do have the information about the accommodations and pricing at Shanty Creek Lodging description(.pdf) or Shanty Creek Lodging description (.docx).
We are working on getting the information about the shuttle service and will be posting it soon.
Our 2019 location in Michigan is indeed a Summiteers dream!
If you like water activities – and we know you do – we will be within a 10 minute drive of six pristine lakes and one wild and scenic river (The Jordan). Oh, and then there is Lake Michigan with its towering Sleeping Bear Dunes.
Maybe you like mountain biking or hiking? Check out The Glacial Hills Trails just 10 minutes from Shanty Creek. This mature hardwood forest Natural Area has winding trails with so many twists and turns your head will spin. And who wouldn’t want to explore trails with names like Never Never Land, The Wall, and The Holy Grail?
Like birds? There’s a loon nursery just up the street. And great birding at the Grass River a 1,492-acre nature preserve with wonderful wildflowers and a plethora of birds! If you’re really lucky you’ll spot one of those river otters cavorting about among the sedges.
This part of Michigan is world famous for tart and sweet varieties of cherries. We will be in the heart of cherry country during the peak of cherry season.
A partial list of activities we will have available during the Summit
Our wonderful programming committee will be working throughout the year to provide you with a variety of engaging and wonderful activities that take advantage of what Great Lakes area has to offer. Here is a general list of what you can expect.
- Hiking trips of various levels
- Butterfly Walks
- Natural Crafts
- Freshwater Ecology
- Local Geology
- Adventure Race
- Wilderness Survival
- Photography Program
- Plein Air Painting
- Wildflower Walks
- Ice Cream Social
- Barn Dance
- …and many more!!